Tuesday 1 November 2016

Inside Ryan Lochte’s extreme Olympic Games training diet

 (Harry How/Getty Images)

Every Friday of his life, Ryan Lochte has pizza and wings. It doesnt matter if hes in China, Houston, or Rio, he will find it and eat it. Dominos is everywhere. Because this is a family tradition, and you cant let down your family.

In the lead-up to the Rio Olympics, we spoke with Lochte after a training practice, about the meals he eats the night before big races. And by big races we mean head-to-head-with-Michael-F*cking-Phelps. Watch him in the mens 200m individual medley on August 10.

First of all, this guy takes in 7-8,000 calories a day. I dont get sick of it, he said, referring to the act of eating itself. When I first started [professionally swimming], I was eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and now Ive stopped. I was just constantly eating, and I was getting tired of eating. My jaw was getting sore. But I guess Ive been doing it for so longIve been doing it for 12 yearsthat its eerie now. If Im not eating, then something is wrong.

The 8K day begins with eggs. Ha! Did we say eggs? We mean five to six eggswith spinach, tomatoes, and ham

And hash browns (or some kind of potatoes).

And pancakes.

And oatmeal (I love oatmeal).

And fruit.

And French vanilla coffee with one sugar and cold milk.

But Lochte doesnt casually whip this up himself, in an apron over his Speedo, oh no. He has a chef. Me behind the kitchen is not so good, he said, Ill burn down the place. So Glenn Lyman, who used to be Lebron Jamess personal chef, takes care of that part of things. Lyman keeps the protein high, and to stick to Lochtes favorite foods, which are everything. Except beans.

I really dont like beans.

About a week before a competition, he carbo-loads. A week of spaghetti, fettuccine Alfredo (chicken alfredo is my favorite), any and all carbs, plus chicken, steak, proteins like that.

Then, two or three hours before a race, hell have another full meal. No energy drinks, just a caffeine pill after that morning coffee, which replaced his soda habit (because my weakness is soda.) If hes hungry in between events, a peanut butter Kind bar is always in his bag.

Hes been really getting into health trends, too. The other day, he had spiralized pasta, or as Lochte put it: Instead of regular pasta, I had this cucumber pasta.

Did he like it?!? I was just like, oooh, when I saw it I was like, Yeah, Im probably going to vomit from this. This doesnt look good. Wheres my other pasta? It was definitely good, he told me. I would have it again, but I would want a big old steak next to it or something. I need something else than that.

To replace his soda addiction, Ive been drinking water with You know those little drops? We work out that he means the lemonade flavored MiO drops.

In other lifestyle blogger foods, hes been having one of the other most popular food trends of the decade for breakfast every morning (well, three or four of them)but Ill let you guess which one by the description: You get a piece of toast and then you put some avocado, mushed up avocado, and you spread it on the bread. Plus, Lochte likes to add spinach, a sunny-side egg, hot sauce, and tofu sausage. Anything tofu Im just, Im loving it.

That said, theres still that Friday cheat day of pizza, wings, and Mountain Dew. Its a family tradition and Ive been doing since I was eight years old, and Ive only missed it six times in my life. If youre wondering: Ranch or blue cheese? Blue cheese all the way.

After a huge event, say, the Olympics, its more than pizza and wings for Lochte. Im going to a steakhouse and Im getting a big, fat steak, he said, I love filets. Anything, really. The bigger the better. Its going down one tube, so Im okay with that. On the side Im eating French fries, I love sweet potatoes, cooked vegetables, broccoli. And replace that Mountain Dew with a big, red Cab.

The Duckhorn Cab, that is hands-down my favorite. Ive been to vineyards, Ive been to all these different wine places. People try to get me to taste other wines. I taste it, but Im like, Nope, Duckhorn is still my favorite.

And in the dessert course of this hypothetical celebration meal? I dont really do desserts, he said, If I did it would have to be mint chocolate chip ice cream, the green kind, not the white kind.

But none of these food habits are set in stone, he said. I just go with the flow, because I always thought if people that have rituals, say, something happens where your phone dies and you cant call your mom or something, and something gets out of place where its not what youre used to, youre going to get discouraged. Youre going to start freaking out.

Thats energy that I dont want to waste, so if I dont have a routine or a ritual, I just go with the flow, so anything that happens, its new to me.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/

The post Inside Ryan Lochte’s extreme Olympic Games training diet appeared first on BestPaleoCookBookReviews.co.uk - Delicious Paleo Recipes.



source http://www.bestpaleocookbookreviews.co.uk/inside-ryan-lochtes-extreme-olympic-games-training-diet/

No comments:

Post a Comment